Juicy mangoes and bitter dark chocolate are not something that I would think to pair together, but sometimes the most unlikely matches are the best kind. This month's We Should Cocoa, hosted by Shaheen at Allotment 2 Kitchen (though the challenge was created by Choclette at Chocolate Log Blog and Chele at Chocolate Teapot) is all about pairing chocolate and mangoes. Though I've failed a couple of times this year already, this is the one challenge I try to enter every month, so I took a leap of faith that Shaheen knew what she was doing when she set the challenge.
Luckily, Shaheen was correct. I decided to used dried mango in these cookies because mangoes are so moist and I didn't want them to end up too soft. I don't often cook with dark chocolate, but it worked very well here in contrast with the sweet pieces of dried mango. Rather than chop the chocolate into the cookies, I decided to dip them into it. This was partly to shake things up a bit, and partly because it looked more interesting.
These are very moreish, and would make a good snack or post-lunch treat. I think the dark chocolate could be exchanged for milk, but white might be too sweet.
- 100g Plain Flour
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 100g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 80g Dried Mango
- 80g Dark Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan, and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Finely chop the mango, or use scissors to cut it into small pieces. Place it to one side.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the egg.
- Stir in the mango pieces, followed by the flour to form a sticky dough.
- Use a tablespoon to measure out chunks of the dough, placing them onto the parchment paper. Use the back of the spoon to flatten the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cookies are just starting to firm up. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Melt the chocolate by breaking it up into small chunks and placing them in a microwaveable bowl. Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between.
- Dip the cookies into the chocolate, using a teaspoon to help cover the sides. Place the cookies back onto the wire rack, placing a sheet of parchment paper underneath to catch any excess chocolate.
- Leave the cookies until the chocolate has set.
I'm posting something special on Wednesday because it's my mum's birthday, so make sure you check back then!
These look so delicious would be great with apricots too.ReplyDelete
Yes! I thought the same thing!Delete
They look wonderful Janine. I love mango in any shape or form, but I think I would particularly love these biscuits - chewy and fruity and chocolatey - mmmmm. Thanks for getting into the challenge spirit ;-)ReplyDelete
Mind you, I'm liking the apricot suggestion too.
Thanks Choclette! Maybe you should make both just for the comparison...Delete
I love mango in cookies. These look gorgeous :)ReplyDelete