It didn't take me long on returning home after my holiday to get my bake on. After more than a fortnight since I had last put flour, butter, eggs and sugar together I was itching to get back into the kitchen. Luckily, a friend had requested some lemon cupcakes in imitation of some found in Tesco, so I set to work.
I wasn't sure how the cupcakes would look with the meringues on top so photographed them both ways; they seem to have turned out alright though. They look like the overpriced ones you might find in an overpriced bakery's window. Anyhow, the cupcakes taste very good and I recieved good feedback from the friend I made them for, so the meringue can't have been too big a disaster.
If you're a lemon addict or are in need of a reminder that spring is supposed to have sprung, these cupcakes should do the job. I would advise using ready-made meringues if you're in a hurry, or make them following this recipe from Delia Online. Using liquid colouring instead of gel colouring gives the pastel yellow colour.
- 200g Plain Flour
- 300g Butter
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Lemons
- 3 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 400g Icing Sugar
- 1 Tsp Liquid Food Colouring
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan and line a cupcake tin.
- Cream the caster sugar and 200g of the butter together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the batter and fold in.
- Grate the rind from both lemons into the batter and fold in, then slice the lemons in half and squeeze their juice into the batter. Fold in until smooth.
- If the batter does not have a soft dropping consistency, add a tablespoon or so of milk and stir in.
- Dive the batter between the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 22 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes cool on a rack, make the icing by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl and beating into the remaining butter with an electric mixer. Add the food colouring and lemon juice, then continue to beat for one minute.
- Decorate the cupcakes as desired.
From tomorrow I'm going to be undertaking a self-imposed sugar ban for twelve days (more on that next time) so next weekend I'm going to try and concoct something sugar free for you. See you then!
Love how you've incorporated the meringue - what a save! They look lovely!ReplyDelete
They look fantastic! Such lovely photos. I will have to make these for tea. My mum-n-law LOVES lemon. Thanks! : )ReplyDelete
Thanks Debs, let me know how they turn out!Delete
Spring, spring, where are you? Good to be reminded there is such a thing. Your cupcakes look absolutely delightful and I be taste 100%+ better than Tesco's.ReplyDelete